Friday, August 6, 2010

1st Week Post Chemo

Last Sunday we went to see the movie South Solitary together. We both enjoyed it. It was reminiscent of some areas of Tassie.
My partner has been slowly recovering from her operation. Earlier in the week she was starting to suffer from increased difficulty with her speech and I was all ready to go and battle the neuro-surgical unit to get something done. Wehad not had word of how to manage the aspiration of any fluid that may have built up since then and it seemed like that was happening and this was becoming more and more stressful. However on Tuesday things were put right during a Haematology Clinic Appointment where the neuros took off 70 mls of fluid. It was a lot and they send some off to pathology which we have yet to get the results from.
She has had to go back on the Dex Meth. Each time she has gone off it something crazy happens so I am hoping staying on a small dose for longer may do the trick.
She seemed a lot more stable last night. Her writing and reading does not seem to have improved to the level it was before the operation and she seems to be having a harder time making a phone calls. It is getting more difficult to keep her spirits up and even though you don't want to it gets harder to maintain positivity in conversation. A good discovery has been that food and sweet things seem to help her speech and thinking and get rid of the depression she may sunk into at times duringthe day. I am looking forward to a week off from the fourth of September.
On Wednesday I shaved her hair on the side of her head that where it is still growing. She was happier, in a way, that her hair was fixed up and remarked that we should have done this before.
Things seemed a bit better today - Friday - she seemed a bit settled this evening. Needs a lot more sleep though. She has been playing Solitaire to keep occupied. Friends come around to see how she is going each day which is good.
Sometimes it feels like the working weeks are cold oceans between Macquarie Island weekends. Thanks to all who come and spend time with her.

Chemo Weeks are hard so here are the dates so that you know. She won't be up to doing much those weeks:
23/08/10 - 28/08/10
20/09/10 - 24/09/10
18/10/10 - 22/10/10
15/11/10 - 19/11/10
1312/10 - 17/12/10

4 comments:

  1. I echo Moira in her post, Steve - you are [both] courageous and beautiful. Hoping to call in this week some time.
    Much love
    Grace
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve this is such a challenge for you you all. I pray and light a candle for you all nightly, wishing you strength, positivity amongst it all and love Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. K is very lucky to have such a devoted partner and love in her life- I send mine from afar, and if I could, I would deliver you one of my most fabulous pavalovas that that I have recently perfected. When I come to tassy, I will follow through!

    Big big love to you all and will book some tickets to come down soon, in a non chemo week.

    Lots of love

    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi K
    thinking of you. visited another friend in oncology in RHH this evening. he is well looked after. accepts that the treatement is the best it can be. I have known him all my life. he is my father's lifelong friend. so many thoughts of you tonight. Be in touch if you'd like be. I'd love to meet up - your place, my place, under a tree somewhere on a sunny day. much love, Fin

    ReplyDelete