Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Activities for Visits

Here are some suggestions for visiting provided by my partners speech therapist

Sometimes talking can be very tiring. You might find it useful to do activities which do not rely heavily on talking when people come to visit.

Some ideas might be:

• Going for a walk

• Cooking together

• Spending time in the garden

• Listening to music

• Going for a drive somewhere

Communication Activities

When having conversations it might be useful to base them around some visual cues to take the pressure off the words, some examples might be:

• Looking through some photos together

• Watching small amounts of TV and pausing for breaks

• Looking through recipes and discussing them

• Reading aloud newspaper articles etc that would be of interest to Carol

• Bringing along items related to what you have been doing eg. photos of a recent trip

2 comments:

  1. hi steve
    the gyuto monks are in town til 15 sept
    program is available here http://www.box.net/files/0/item/f_501477072
    I was thinking carol might find this enjoyable. I think you could park next to the pavilion (it is at mawson pavilion).
    much love
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say I went there today and it was great. I'm intending to go most days. I could help sort out the parking issue etc if that was useful.
    my mobile is 0414 632 537.
    love
    jen

    ReplyDelete