Sunday, May 9, 2010

Green tea facts from a 5th Year Cancer Survivor

I became interested in green tea after reading "Foods thet Fight Cancer" written by 2 Canadian cancer researchers, Richard Beliveau and Denis Gingras. According to them it is the catechins in tea which are responsible for the effect. The tea with the highest concentration of catechins is Japanese Sencha which can have up to 5 times the amount of other green teas. I buy mine online from a shop in Brisbane but I think there is a good tea shop in Hobart you could it at. The rolls royce of Sencha teas is Senca Uchiyama or Gyokuro.

The researchers recommend brewing for 8-10 minutes. Anything under 5 minutes results in only 20% of the extraction of catechins. A short brew of an inferior tea can result in 60% less catechins.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve...the green tea works wonders, so I have no doubt in its positive abilities in healing many things. While we were in Japan and drinking mega amounts of extra good tea, a couple of silly things I noted ie. my eyelashes and hair grew extra thick and long, and my skin much thicker (hard to explain) and plumper, like I had gained ten years! It was amazing and if this is what can happen in a couple of weeks, well, it is worth getting into your daily life. It would be nice if we could by the good quality one here for same price as Japan. From memory $12kg over there, equivalent of what we pay here about $150! big xxx to you all

    ReplyDelete