Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Goodbye my lovely woman

My partner passed away at 2:35 am this morning. She is at peace now. Like times before she did not give up until she left us. Until there was nothing more to give or get. Her heart was young and strong. Her breath held her. At the palliative care facility I had slept next to her knowing that this was the last night. Hearing her consistent breaths when I rose to the surface of my slumber now and then. Through all of her life she was consistent and strong. An equilibrium had been reached between her breath and her heart. By the position she had been laid in. Reached by a marked change in her breath on Saturday that seemed a lifetime away. Then around 2:00 pm they came to move her. The pattern was broken. The equilibrium was disturbed and she finally let go. Two weeks since she made her decision not to go on. Many days since she stopped raising an eyebrow or making a smile or frowning when in pain.

My son and I packed our things. I put a picture of her swami in her hand. We said our last goodbyes. Our last kisses to her forehead She was smiling in peace as I took my last glimpse of her from the door of her room. We left her with her many vases of flowers at the foot of her bed.

Goodbye sweetheart.

5 comments:

  1. Bless you and angels be with you darling girl. Bless you Steve for sharing with your open heart. All we can do is count our blessings. Deep breaths. Peaceful journeys.

    K xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving thoughts soar with you, Kripa. I thought of you so much over the last few days away in the wilderness, thinking about life and both its abundence and transience. Steve you are truly kind to share this moment of intimate sorrow with her friends, your friends. I have profound respect for both you and Kelsey. We are always here for you. Fin and Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh steve we are so sad for you and k. A very beautiful woman. Love to you both and thank you for sharing your last special moments.. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Monday the wind blew so softly through the gumtrees and the sun was sweet, and I imagined her leaving us with the full power of love and warmth which she deserved. I also remembered our time together in Greece in 1991, and how every day K cried because she missed you so much Steve. She loved you so much, and Kelsey. Her two beautiful boys, she used to say, so warmly. Now it's our town to shed tears for her, in love, for we will miss her terribly.
    Lisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. farewell carol .....
    dear steve thank you for sharing so beautifully with me, with all of us reading this blog, about carol's passing.
    to know she was so loved, supported, cherished and accompanied during this time is so warming to my heart
    my love to you and kelsey and all her wonderful family and friends

    ReplyDelete